Here we have it, your Baker Street Babe Fandom Guide to the BSI Weekend in New York City, this year starting on January 9th. Below will be a guide to everything for the uninitiated/internet-fans, plus a few little facts and details.
There’s lots of events happening over The Weekend, some more fandom friendly than others (some are invite only, ticketed, etc) The Babes are going to be out in full force this weekend, two of us are coming over from the UK! So, we’d really love to meet a lot of you, as we mostly operate events in London! The Babes that will be at BSI Weekend are Curly, Lyndsay, Taylor, Ardy, & Kafers.
Wednesday, January 9th
- ASH Wednesday Dinner. ASH (The Adventuresses of Sherlock Holmes, Ep 29) were the first all-female group of Sherlockians, since the BSI didn’t allow women until 1991(!). These are some seriously fierce ladies and a major laugh and they are REALLY interested in the new generation of Sherlockians, so please, young and old, do come along! Dinner, 6:30PM at O’Casey’s. 22 East 41st St. - [map]. Everyone pays their own checks. While not mandatory, it’s nice to let Susan Rice or Evy Herzog know if you’re coming.
Thursday, January 10th
- The Christopher Morley Walk commences at 9:30AM at the Algonquin Hotel - [map]. There is lunch at McSorley’s [info] at 1:30PM following the walk, and is pay your own check. Please let Jim Cox know if you’re planning to attend.
- BSI Distinguished Speaker, every year the BSI invite a… well, distinguished speaker to speak in a distinguished manner! This year’s Distinguished Speaker is Kim Newman, British journalist, film critic, fiction writer and author of Anno Dracula (1992), The Man from the Diogenes Club (2005) and Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D’urbervilles (2011). It’s at 6:15PM and on the 2nd floor of the Midtown Executive Club at 40 West 45th Street - [map]. Tickets are $11 and are only available in advance, contact Steve Rothman.
- The Daintiest Thing Under A Bonnet Charity Ball. Our own event filled with Sherlockian goodness and a wandering cellist. Drinks, dinner, auction, raffle, and quiz all to benefit The Wounded Warrior Project. It starts at 8PM at the Salmagundi Club at 47 Fifth Avenue - [map]. This event is SOLD OUT.
Friday, January 11th
- The Gaslight Gala is the alternative to the invite-only prestigious BSI Dinner (which Curly was invited to!!!) and Lyndsay goes to as she’s a BSI. The Gala is amazing. It’s fun and informal and has lots of Sherlockian fun. The Gala is at the Manhattan Club at 201 West 52th St. - [map]. It’s $78.00 (checks payable to Will Walsh) should be sent to Becky Robare, 111 North 9th Street, #300, Philadelphia, PA 10107 (917 817-1608). Also see their blog. I’m sure you can email them.
Saturday, January 12th
- The Merchants’ Room will open at 9am in the Vanderbilt Suite of the Roosevelt Hotel (45 East 45th. St. - [map]. A wide variety of Sherlockiana will be offered for sale. Be prepared to open your wallet and fall down in feels of wanting everything. Info about what’s for sale can be found [HERE].
- Junior Bloodstain - The Clients of Adrian Mulliner. Join the society of fans who are dedicated to the enjoyment of the writings of Dr. John H. Watson and P.G. Wodehouse as they gather for the annual Junior Bloodstain. Featuring the premiere performance of “The Riddle of the Starving Swine,” with hand puppets. More information available here. It’s free and happens at 11:15AM, though the location is still TBA, keep an eye on www.bsiweekend.com.
- The Baker Street Irregulars Annual Cocktail Reception is open bar. And there’s lots of rare stuff to gawk at. Do you need another reason to go? How about hors d’oeuvres? The reception is at Delmonico’s Kitchen at 207 West 36th St, [map] and is $79.00 (remember, open bar!) at the door. Door open at 1:30PM.
- Lost in New York with a Bunch of Sherlockians is full of food, drinks, quizzes, and PRIZES! Should be a wild rocking time. It’s at 6:00PM at Pete’s Tavern at 29 E. 18th St, [map]. Cost is $45.00 per person in advance. For reservations or questions please phone: (818) 675-5399 or e-mail the Kegleys at ckegley socal.rr.com. You may pay via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, January 13th
- The Adventuresses of Sherlock Holmes - informal brunch is hosted by our own Lyndsay Faye at Harley’s Smokeshack at 11:30AM at 356 West 44th St. - [map]. Cost is just $20.00, including tax and tip. Payable by cash or check at the door. Open to all, but space is limited and reservations will be important; please contact Lyndsay Faye
- SherlockNYC Tea Party is a tea party… hosted by SherlockNYC! Cara McGee, creator of all the fab fandom teas will be there and there’s a screening of BELG afterwards. It’s 1:00 - 5:00 pm at the Producer’s Club at 358 W 44th St [map] and also costs $20. Please RSVP [HERE].